I spilled commercial degreaser on my stone floor and it looks very bad
by Justun Chandler
(La Center, Washington)
We have stone tiles in our home and spilled some commercial degreaser in the kitchen. It sat for a half hour or so and when we wiped it up, the tiles that it was on are dramatically lighter in color and dry looking. When I wet a rag and wipe it it looks like the rest but dries very light again. We have owned the home for 2 years and I’m sure it needs resealed anyway. I’ve included a picture of one of the larger spots. What is your advise?
What I think happened is the slate tile was sealed with an enhancing sealer and when the cleaner/degreaser came in contact, it removed the enhancer.
The lighter parts you are seeing in the slate tile is the natural look of the tile. We see this a lot when we clean slate tile.
After cleaning, the slate will look lighter and chalky. We always recommend sealing slate tile with an enhancing sealer.
An enhancing sealer will darken the stone, and bring out the colors.
If I were you, I would clean the rest of the floor and I mean really scrub the floor with a brush and rinse very well. I would then allow the floor to dry for a day and then apply an enhancing sealer.
Read the directions very carefully and follow to a tee. If you do that, you should have a very good looking slate floor.
Depending on your traffic on the floor, you should do this every 2-3 years.
I hope this helps.